Recipes

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Fell In Love All Over Again...

...With OATMEAL!! The past month or so I've tried a few different oatmeal types and variations based on what some of you bloggers eat because they always look so good, and most did taste good (well except the Kashi instant stuff...way too sweet). However, last night I made my first batch of steel cut oats of the season! I only started liking oatmeal last year (don't know why it took me so long to try it), mainly because of the delicious little morsels called Steel Cut Oats!

Yes they take a long time to cook, but totally worth it in my opinion. My favorite method is to make a whole pot of it (usually 4 servings), and cook them the overnight method that I described in my last post. Last night I just made 2 servings, and brought both to work (one for tomorrow). It re-heats really well! Usually just have to add a splash of water or milk because it thickens up a lot in the fridge.

When I turned the stove back on this morning to cook off the last bit of extra liquid, I added to my 2 servings:
- 1 chopped banana
- 4 chopped dried apricots
- 1T (maybe more) of Apricot preserves (the no sugar added kind)
- 1/4cup of walnut pieces (plus a little extra to sprinkle on top)
- and a little amount of dried cherries on top


The apricot preserves just give it a little sweetness, doesn't really taste like apricots at all. The vanilla soy milk I used in the cooking also sweetens it just slightly. If I use regular milk, I usually add a little maple syrup on top as well, but definitely didn't need it today, it was PERFECT! I love that the steel cut oats just give it more texture, more of a slight chewiness! It was warm and satisfying and I had to control myself not to dive into tomorrow's bowl!!
That breakfast kept me full til noon! I then had a small apple, and a little later ate my lunch. I finally had that tomato eggplant bisque I picked up Monday at WF's,Along with a little garden salad with:
- fresh romaine
- green pepper slices
- a small Armenian cucumber sliced
- a little garlic and herb goat cheese
- half of a yellow tomato
- a few croutons
- topped with some olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper
Both items really hit the spot! I'd recommend trying that soup.

For a little dessert I had a few pieces of candy from the Cape...
- 1 malt ball
- 1 yogurt pretzel
- 2 dark chocolate covered cranberries!Yum! Now sipping some water with an Emergen-C packet to keep up the immune system with the sick work people around.

Tonight is shopping with the fiance!! Doesn't happen too often, he doesn't hate shopping, but he just likes to buy his clothes on his own (and does a pretty good job too). But today he needs a shirt and tie to go with his new suit for the wedding Friday, and new jeans...he likes my opinion on those things haha. I need some shoes for my new dress! Don't know what this means for dinner but we shall see...also no Internet tonight so maybe no new post til the AM.

Have a fabulous day!!

4 comments:

  1. I love it when breakfast holds me over for a long time.

    Have fun shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I too am in love with oats - I have 'em everyday!! :0)

    Enjoy your shopping trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Owww, I hope you have so much shopping tonight! Take some pics of what you buy! Hope you guys ate out somewhere fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! Saw your question about the "Blogger Secret Ingredient" and responded on my blog, but just to make sure you know...

    The Blogger Secret Ingredient was originally started by Christie at Sportsnutritionliving for the blog community to share recipes. Each week a new blogger picks an ingredient and readers submit recipes using it!

    Read more about it here: http://www.hangrypants.com/2008/09/she-says-the-new-blogger-secret-ingredient/

    ReplyDelete