Recipes

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Busy but Beautiful Day

Woke up a little early this morning to get some studying done before we left for apple picking! I knew we'd be snacking on apples and other fun goodies at the orchard, but I needed some real breakfast first to hold me over. I had a slice of sprouted wheat toast, with PB and a tiny bit of pumpkin butter, and a banana...

When we arrived at the farm, we had to have a little treat...almost all apple picking places around here have great baked goods, esp. apple cider donuts! Now, I NEVER eat donuts...but these are in a completely different category. Warm, delicate, flavorful and dusted with cinnamon sugar...mmmm.
Now off to the picking! We took the tractor ride into the orchard, with our bushel bag for filling with apples!
Brian picking!
Me picking
Gorgeous Apples
With our bag full to the brim we headed off to the Nashoba Valley Winery for our brunch reservations! We had a cute table outside under the pergola.


Brunch today was a buffet...this was my plate...There was a cold salad (front) with zucchini, summer squash, and tomato, a little pasta salad (which I usually don't like but this was really good), some fresh fruit, cheese, and crackers, some braised chicken, and some savory egg strata. I also had to try a little of the french toast Brian took...
After brunch, I did a tasting in the winery, bought a bottle of Strawberry Rhubarb wine for my mom, and we headed out.
After a stop at a marketplace, and at mom's house, we got back and I started on dinner!

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos, Take 2.

I still had all the cooked sweet potatoes from when I tried this Monday, but had no onion...now with all my ingredients I ventured in again! The recipe made SO MUCH FILLING! It was basically, sweet potato, black beans, cilantro, lemon juice, sauteed onions, jalapeno, and garlic!...All mushed together, stuffed in tortillas and baked.
The pan held 6 burritos, but I had extra filling, so I made 3 more and wrapped them in foil and put in the freezer for individual burritos in the future.
After the first 3o minutes, I took them out and topped with a little reduced fat cheese and put them back in to melt! I topped my burrito with fresh salsa, a slice of avocado, and a little dollop of light sour cream.
The burritos were AWESOME!! The sweet potato really came through and gave it a nice sweet flavor that complemented the salsa really well!

Of course a day of apple picking isn't over until there's some baking...so I made up a little apple crisp.
I took a couple recipes I like and slightly modified them, reduced some sugar, and added some pumpkin to the topping!

Crisp before going in the oven...I'll report in the morning with the crisp outcome :)

Good night!

9 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful, fun day you had!!

    Too many delicious foods to give shout-outs too - love it all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool that you were at Tougas today too. It was jamming - great day to be outside.
    I have been to that winery too - love the selection of wines. I don't really drink but they have the best dessert wines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard apple cider donuts are fantastic. I am going to look harder this fall season. Crisp looks great - can't wait to hear how it came out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must post your crisp recipe, it looks awesome! Apple picking looks like soooooo much fun! You are adorable!

    btw- is it ok if I add you to my blog favorites list?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saw your comment on my blog - you're on my blog roll as well :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to be added to your blog roll. Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so jealous your day looked like the prefect day! Trust me I would have got the donut too, we went to an apple orchid on vacation over the summer adn I allowed myself to indulge in the awesome apple fritters without giving it another thought.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I stumbled upon your blog via hangrypants. Glad you had a great day of picking. Unfortunately I had to work all weekend so I didn't get to enjoy the great new england weather but apple picking is one of my favorite activities. I am in MA as well and Cider Hill is one of my favorites.
    Additionally, were the burritos you made from the Moosewood cookbook? I have their low fat cookbook and love the recipe for sweet potato black bean burritos. They freeze exeptionally well so I will assemble them and freeze them and then bake them one at a time when I want one without having to thaw first.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yum those burritos look delish! i'll be making them with the boy soon for sure! will you share the exact recipe so I can credit you properly?

    rhodeygirltests@gmail.com !

    ReplyDelete