Recipes

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Oligo-who???

This morning I packed a couple options for b-fast. I had a slice of the TJ's Multigrain, PB, and fruit spread...and I also had a plain Chobani, some canned pineapple, and granola! Yum and Yum. This was too much for 1 meal so I decided to save the yogurt for a snack later in the day.

Breakfast:
The multi grain loaf is small so I cut it a little thicker, and I had a half of a banana on the side...which ended up on top of the PB&J, obvi!

My mid morning snack was a light String Cheese...love these little suckers!

Lunch was more Leftovers!! When we went out to dinner Sunday night at the BBQ Place my friend didn't finish her meal and her fiance didn't want her leftovers!! I have no shame taking my friends leftovers...especially when it's Pulled BBQ chicken!!

Lots of chicken!! I added some of my mom's BBQ sauce and heated it up. Along with the chicken was a little leftover cucumber salad.
I also had the other half of my Carrot Raisin bread, toasted, with a little butter
I had a half of one of the Quaker True Delight bars I received leftover. It was the Toasted Coconut Banana Macadamia Nut one...which is Delicious!! However, I find them on the sweet side, and would prefer them more of a sweet treat than a regular "bar". This was a great little dessert though...I was checkin out the wrapped...reading the ingredients when one really popped out at me as a "Huh?!" I was skeptical so I looked it up online:

Oligofructose

Turns out this substance is pretty darn good for the body!

Here's the definition:

Definition: Oligofructose is an oligosaccharide - a type of sugar molecule with several branches. Oligosaccharides are, for the most part, not digested in the small intestine, therefore they add very little to blood glucose. However, they are broken down via fermentation in the colon (large intestine) where they can contribute to the health of the colon (for this reason, they are sometimes called prebiotics).

Oligofructose is 30-50% is sweet as sucrose (table sugar). It also behaves similarly to sugar in some food products. It occurs naturally in some plants. Most of the oligofructose used as an ingredient is either extracted from chicory root or is synthetically manufactured. It is included both in "Total Carbohydrates" and "Fiber" on food labels in the U.S.


So I kept reading a little more about it... This website had some good info, but if you don't feel like reading the whole thing here are some highlights:

"It is a resistant starch, or soluble dietary fibre..."

"Resistant starches are neither fibres or complex carbohydrates...They are now recognised under the carbohydrate banner and are listed on nutritional panels as soluble dietary fibre. "

"...This process leads to differentiation of cancer cells, a vital step that is required before cancer cells can be killed."

"...undesirable bacteria diminish in number as the healthy bacteria proliferate in the presence of oligofructose. "

I found this all really interesting...I have never heard of this substance but it sounds like a pretty kick-ass ingredient to me!

Well once again I've run into the double whammy of working late and an event at The Garden to squash all possibility of dance class...I can't wait until Bruins season is over!! (sorry fans).

I may just not workout tonight...I really would LOVE LOVE LOVE to get to bed earlier, and I've been super tired tonight. I'll probably do some things with my stability ball and whatnot in my bed room though...no worries.

16 comments:

  1. Love your breakfast!!

    Interesting information regarding Oligofructose - who knew?? :-D

    Hope you can get some extra shut-eye tonight!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum breakfast PB&J with banana=amazing!

    haha I love all that info you found out, good to know certainly! Hope you get some rest tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm, learn something new every day! it is tasty, would make for a nice dessert methinks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bar looks really good- I love being able to see the ingredients! Never heard of the oligo junk....thats great that its good for you though! Yayy for quaker. Sorry about dance :( Is this just a real busy time at work or is it sort of the norm?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh - that PBJ, YUM!!

    I'm not a fan of those Quaker bars either :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love toast with PB&J and a banana on top. It really might be one of my most favorite things ever. Hope you get more sleep tonight- it's important to listen to your body!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got those bars in the mail too, but I don't remember seeing that on the ingredient list! Maybe I should pay closer attention...

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the close up on the bar! looks yummy...i love macadamia nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel you about going to bed early. Sleep is the best thing for your energy and health!!

    Love your blog! you're on my blogroll :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting info...I've been hearing a lot about resistance starches in the news lately. I think I looked up that ingredient recently but didn't find as much info as you. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to tell you, but oligosaccharides are not resistant starches. They are soluble and have a sugar backbone - in other words they are chemically comprised of a combination of glucose and fructose. Because of this sugar backbone, they are fermented fairly fast and you can get "digestive distress" if you eat too much of it. Resistant starches are comprised of all glucose chains. The fermentation impact is very different within the body, with different types of health benefits. Oligosaccharides do have good science suggesting health benefits - but they are not resistant starches. If you want to know more about resistant starch, go to www.resistantstarch.com. You can buy resistant starch at King Arthur Flour online, and add it into your oatmeal or smoothie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. BBQ Pulled Chicken, sounds yummy. I may have to put that on our menu next week.

    I agree on the Quaker bar being more like a dessert, I felt the same way. It wont hold you over but it may help with a sweet tooth craving.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your breakfast looks so yummy! You said you packed it. Do you have it at work?

    Great info on the oligofructose. I'm impressed you looked up info on it!

    I need to try that bar. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nutrition Nut - Thanks for that correction...I only posted what I had read on a few sites. I'm by no means an expert on this stuff so I appreciate the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't even notice the oligofructose. I was sad that corn syrup was the second ingredient!

    ReplyDelete