Recipes

Monday, December 22, 2008

Weekend Recap Part II: Turkey Soup

Yesterday was ANOTHER snow storm here in New England. Luckily there was football to keep us entertained for a chunk of the day because the roads really we're great for driving. To me, these are the perfect cooking days.

Snowy COLD day + that awful feeling like you may better getting a cold = Turkey Soup of course! (does anyone else get that tingly feeling behind their nose that kind of clues you into a cold coming? I immediately slammed 2 Emergen-C's)

After the Thanksgiving Extravaganza that we had at the apt back in November, I save the leftover turkey bones and some meat and toss it in the freezer until I want to make soup.

Unfortunately we didn't have the massive amount of meat as we did last year...because that made some killer turkey chili...oh well.

First I put the bones/meat, 2 carrots, 2 celery stalks, 1 onion, and 2 bay leaves into a large pot and fill with water. I then simmered this for about 2 hours.

I couldn't find any barley at the grocery store, but I did have a package of wheat berries I had yet to open in my cabinet, so I decided those would be the grain in my soup. I was worried they wouldn't cook fast enough in the soup, so I wanted to start their cooking process before adding them.

Before proceeding with the soup, I had to remove all the bones and other stuff you don't want in the soup.

Then I chopped up more carrots, celery, and onions... and this time some garlic.I let these cook for about 30min, then add the par-cooked wheat berries, salt, and pepper.

NOTE: If using wheat berries again, I don't think I would pre-cook them again...it really wasn't necessary.

Then I added a BOATLOAD of frozen veggies: corn, peas, green beans, spinach, and broccoli.

Holy Veggies!
It was late by this time but I had to have a taste!I decided I wanted a tad more umph to the flavor, so I added about 2T of tomato paste! That did the trick.

Guess what I had for lunch???

Yup...Soup! (I'll be eating this for days!! I did freeze some though)

With my soup I had some pita bread and hummus....mmmm.
Love getting all those veggies in 1 bowl.

Well my "cold" hasn't really blown up into a full blown cold yet, but I have felt extra tired all day and I'm a tiny bit stuffy. This put a damper on my gym trip :( I hate that!! But I have ZERO energy...so its early to bed for me.

See you in the AM :)

9 comments:

  1. Comforting!!

    Ahh, don't get sick!! Rest up and get well soon, girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hope you feel better - soup looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you feel better! The soup looks awesome! I bet hummus and bread was the perfect side! So glad the pats won this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of using wheat berries in the soup! It looks fantastic. Hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum the soup & pita/hummus looks so good! It warmed me up just looking at it :) Stay well and don't get sick!! Lots of vitamin c!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Get lots of rest!!

    Hummus and pita - my fav!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love your made from scratch, no short cuts soup. And the fact that you are using every bit of leftover there is is amazing. I've never tried making stock before but your last few posts really have me inspired to try it. I think I'm going to save what I can of the turkey carcus from christmas to make this is in the next month.

    ReplyDelete