Recipes

Saturday, January 2, 2010

The New Year!

Happy New Year everyone!! 

So far it’s been a pretty relaxing long weekend!  I took off New Years eve to relax and get stuff done around the house, as well as make a couple things for the New Years party my friend was throwing!

But first my new years breakfast :)  Nothing fancy, which is fine by me…I just love eating a relaxing breakfast at home.  So much better than at work!!

Starting with a delicious cappuccino!

IMG_7644

A juicy red grapefruit

IMG_7660

And one of my latest banana muffins with raw almond butter.IMG_7661

The almond butter goes perfectly with the muffins!

IMG_7662

New Years Eve!!

My friend threw a party at her and her husband’s condo in the North End.  The building has a great roof deck where we watched the fire works!

She made lots of amazing appetizers along with some homemade meatballs and stuffed shells! 

I didn’t get as many pictures as I would of liked but here are a few…

IMG_7655

I made that salad.  It’s a recipe my mom got from a former co-worker a looong time ago and has been a favorite ever since!

A few hours before serving combine:

  • chopped tomatoes (I used 4-5 tomatoes)
  • 3 cloves garlic (chopped or I used a press)
  • drizzle olive oil
    Let this tomato mixture sit at room temp until ready to serve
  • 2 heads Romaine, broken into pieces or chopped
  • freshly shredded Romano cheese (I bought a small wedge and used the whole thing)
    Dressing:
  • 1/2 c. olive oil
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
  • S&P

When ready to eat, toss everything together and enjoy!

My other contribution was a Barefoot Contessa recipe I saw on her show once:  Ham and Cheese in Puff Pastry

This was a SUPER easy recipe!
Before going in the oven:
IMG_7649

And after…golden, flake, and delicious!!!

IMG_7658

One of my friend’s friend is an owner of a local Bakery
She brought an ADORABLE NYE cake!!! 

IMG_7651 

It was a white cake with a new filling they are trying out…white chocolate, cranberry, rum mousse (at least I think that was it).  AMAZING!

She also brought along some other goodies…

 IMG_7657    

I’d like to highlight those middle cookies… marzipan, apricot jam, a square of hazelnut nougat, and chocolate…. Oh.my.god. 

Been inside all day, cleaning, laundry, 2 rounds of shoveling!!  It’s time to get out…meeting a friend and her fiancé for dinner :)

4 comments:

  1. happy new year gorgeous!!!

    that pastry looks phenom -- Ina Gartin is so gourmet!

    Have a great night :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow what a great new year!
    oh my gosh those desserts...those are beautiful!!
    happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to pick up some grapefruit spoons! I've been making a mess trying to eat them lately...

    Sounds like you enjoyed a fun New Years Eve. A couple of our friends used to live in an apartment with a roof deck overlooking the Commons, and it was always the best spot for watching the fireworks.

    The bakery goodies look delicious, as do the salad and filled puff pastry you made.

    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. is that a "grapefruit spoon?" i need to get some of those! i had so much struggling with grapefruit juices spitting all over me yesterday. lol.

    ReplyDelete