Recipes

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Taco Night and Banana Muffins

Why do so many guys LOVE tacos? I mean, I love tacos, but Brian LOOOOOVES tacos!! So he was way excited when I mentioned we make tacos the other night with the ground turkey we had in the freezer!

It must be all the fun toppings and things you can add! I new I was going to make mine into a kickass taco salad…and kickass it was!

It all started with the salad spinner. Seriously what did I do before I had this baby? I know, I would use like 1/4 roll of paper towels to dry my lettuce!

IMG_7616

washed, dried, and chopped Green leaf lettuce into my bowl.

IMG_7617

The rest into the bag for use throughout the week.

IMG_7619

The spinner used again for the cilantro! I LOVE cilantro and I love when I can add it fresh to a meal, but I hate having to buy a big bunch of it to use just a little.

IMG_7621

This is my salad prepped before adding the “taco”

IMG_7622

I cooked a package of ground turkey breast with a little olive oil (it was very lean), then added:

  • a package of taco seasoning (I found the McCormick brand to have the least “crap” in it)
  • 1 can black beans
  • and some green pepper strips

IMG_7623

After simmering for about 5min, it was done and we started building our dinners.

To my prepped salad I added:

  • turkey/bean/pepper mixture
  • grated cheese
  • sour cream
  • salsa
  • hot sauce
  • fresh cilantro
  • some crushed tortilla chips

IMG_7624

This salad was AWESOME!!!!!!!!

IMG_7625

While making my salad I also made another for lunch the next day…perfect!

Brian wants “taco night” added to the frequent rotation :)

I decided after dinner, it was about time for some muffins seeing as I had 4 lovely over-ripe bananas just hanging around

IMG_7628

Banana Muffins 12-27-09

In a large mixing bowl combine:

  • 1 1/2 c. White Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1/2 c. Oat Bran
  • 1/3 c. Hazelnut Meal
  • 1/4 c. APF
  • 2 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1.5 tsp Baking Soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • shakes of Cinnamon and Nutmeg
    IMG_7626

    In a Separate Bowl Combine:
  • 1 egg
  • 4 very ripe Bananas – mashed (if you have less banana you may need to increase the agave/sugar and oil a little)
  • 1 cup Buttermilk
  • 1/3 c. Apple Sauce
  • 2 T Canola Oil
  • 3 T Agave Nectar (might add 1 more Tbsp next time)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
    IMG_7627
    (p.s. this powdered buttermilk is GREAT to keep on hand when needing to bake with it. No more buying a carton of buttermilk just for that 1 cup.)

    Add wet ingredients to dry and add:
  • Chocolate Chips – approx. 1/4 cup
  • Chopped Walnuts – approx. 1/3 cup

    Mix until just combined (don’t over-mix!)
    Spray muffin tin with canola oil spray (or other cooking spray), and fill with batter.

    IMG_7629
  • Top muffins with Raw sugar and/or dry oats
  • Bake for 18min at 375 degrees

I had extra batter and made a mini loaf:

IMG_7630

IMG_7631

As usual these are not super sweet like muffins from a bakery, but they are moist and banana-y and perfect for breakfast. If your used to traditional sweet baked goods, add more agave or a little sugar.

I like my muffins to taste like breakfast not dessert :)

IMG_7633

9 comments:

  1. So jealous of your salad spinner!! I like that you use ground turkey in your tacos--they look super fresh :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love taco nights! I feel the need to eat yummy tacos at least once a week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The muffins look delicious!

    mark loves tacos so much he has been known to stop on 95 in Ct. to get them from a truck on the side of the road.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahha. Josh loves burritors like your man loves tacos. He goes CRAZY for them. I'm not sure I get it either. Love your version much more. How delicious is avocado? Great job on the muffins- oats always are a great add in. Hope you two have a nice New Years

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh boys and his tacos! I once saw my boyf order 10 of them at Taco Bell and shoveled them down with ease! He's not human

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love taco salad and yours looks so good. Have you tried to freeze cilantro? I feel the same way, I love adding it to fresh salsa and mexican dishes but hate wasting it so I started freezing it in a plastic baggie with a paper towel in it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oo taco night sounds SO fun! i love making your own!
    those muffins look great! banana muffins=my FAV
    happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUMM!! My roommate and I make tacos weekly for surrre...umm due to Boston's extreme lackage of Mexican food :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmm, tacos. definitely something i forget about :) i sent you an email (to the yogurtandberries acct) about the cookie exchange next week!

    ReplyDelete