Recipes

Thursday, January 28, 2010

My Dad Loved Food

I was trying to think about how to write this post tonight.  I wanted to post, but I knew if I did today I’d have a hard time not mentioning this particular day.  Today is 3 years since my dad passed away.  I don’t want this to be a sad post…so lets make it happy :)

Don’t get me wrong, my mom is a fantastic cook and loves food…but I have to give my dad credit for my LOVE of food, maybe even an obsession for amazing tasting food! 

He used to be a power lifter back in the day, and would tell me he used to eat about 10,000 calories a day to try to gain weight!?  Ok I never inherited that problem haha.  Even after he stopped the serious lifting, he was always active…and I can definitely say I got my love of fitness and health 100% from him, as well as my love of goodies :) 

Yeah he was a man who LOVED his dessert.  Homemade pies, cakes, cookies, ICE CREAM, chocolate…you name it!  Even now, when I go into a bakery I find myself looking at some amazingly looking treat and thinking “oooo daddy would of loved that!”.  And I love that I still have those thoughts even now.  Man I wish I had some of my old photos scanned in!!  There’s this great one of him and me at my 4th birthday holding a big pie in front of our faces with a huge grin on his face :)  I gotta show you that one sometime…when I get to a scanner. 

So I have to give my dad a big shout out and Thank you for passing on the passion and love of delicious things, AND teaching me how you can still enjoy delicious treats while maintaining your health :)

As I was writing I just remember I DO have a digital photo…from the wedding!!!  When I walked down the aisle with my mom, I carried a locket around my bouquet with his picture inside :)184416_0001

And here’s mom and me down the aisle…172211_0001

Ahhh I need to stop myself from going crazy with the wedding pics….BUT this just gave my the kick in the pants to FINALLY start sharing my big day with you!!!  So expect to see more wedding pics in the near future :)

And now for some tots…yes, the potato kind. 

Brian, 2 min ago:  “did you blog about my tots yet?”  haha boys.  Yeah he slipped a bag of potato tots into the cart last weekend.

IMG_7978

This was his dinner tonight:  Tots, and an Amy’s burrito :)

IMG_7979

Not gonna lie, I had a few.  I had just returned from a SUPER SWEATY hot power yoga class, and I was huuuuungry. 

My real dinner was a quick salad of: baby spinach, shredded carrots, cucumber, hummus, red wine vinegar and a little olive oil and hot sauce.

  IMG_7980 IMG_7981

Unpictured, but I also had a half of a pita with American cheese melted in it.

Dessert anyone?  I made a make-shift s’more:  Ha lf of a graham cracker, few chocolate chips, and some of this amazing substance:  IMG_7917

its basically a tub of like all natural Fluff!!  I found it at Whole Foods and already bought another container.  (oh and just trying to find it online, I just found out it’s a Boston based company…COOL!)

IMG_7982 

Threw that into the micro for 10 seconds. 

IMG_7983 

Mmmmmm  gooey.

IMG_7984 

Tomorrow’s Friday….HOLLER!  Anything fun planned for this weekend.  I am heading down to Rhode Island right after work to visit a friend :) 

 

13 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post! My dad passed away a few weeks ago at the age of 55 (I'm only 20). It's such a difficult experience to lose your dad when your so young. I love you're positive post. Yesterday I wrote a post on my blog dedicated to my dad that's also really positive. Consider checking it out, I think you'll really like it. I also love your idea of the locket around the bouquet. I really wanna do that at my wedding. What a perfect way of having him with you on that special day.

    I hope all the happy memories you have with him are very much alive today. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dad sounds like he REALLY rocked. I think its wonderful that you took on his love of fitness and good food. Just wonderful. I bet hes super proud of you.

    Great dinner, even better dessert! I'm so looking for that natural fluff...yum!

    Have fun in RI! I just got home from work travel and am hoping to relax

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a strong beautiful woman.

    My thoughts and prayers are with you today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful bridget...*hugs hugs hugs*..honestly started tearing up through this post, then laughed about the tots :D xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww, what a lovely post. How do Dads get to be so wise??
    The mini smore looked so yummy, how did you only stop at one??
    O and Cinema and movies, yeah its the same thing x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful gift your dad passed on. A passion for food is a great thing!
    I love how you remembered him on your wedding day. You looked so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely post about your Dad! You had such great memories of him, and he sounds wonderful.

    Boys are so funny -- my boyfriend is always asking "are you going to blog about this (really crappy junk food we are eating)?" Your tots look so yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing about your dad- the combination of happy and sad feelings are always a weird combo, hope you have a wonderful day and celebrate all that you love and he loved!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now you've got me craving smores! Haha! I love me some tater tots :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. aw sweetheart this post is nothing short of beautiful. I know your dad is smiling down on you right now and probably totally drooling over that s'more :) Sending you so many hugs, beautiful <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. My dad died when I was very young but I honored him by leaving the first seat open for him. I put a flower on the chair to honor him.

    And I am a big fan of smores! They are a great 200 calorie dessert after a good exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thinking of you. Your dad sounds amazing. Keep the happy memories close to you...<3 You'll always have them, and him, by your side.

    Smores ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a beautiful way to remember your dad <3
    Hope your night is going well :)
    bec xo

    ReplyDelete