Recipes

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Restaurant Reviews...Asian Style

For the big birthday dinner Brian took me to Blue Ginger, Ming Tsai's restaurant in Wellesely. Ming was even there!! He was talking to a few tables, but I didn't get a chance plus I don't even know what I'd say. When we were leaving he was sitting at the bar watching the Celtics game haha.

To start, I had the Blue Ginger Gimlet, don't remember exactly what was in it but it involved vodka, ginger syrup, and sour mix...it was citrusy, tart, refreshing and delicious!Our appetizer was INCREDIBLE! We had the shitake-leek spring rolls with three chili dipping sauce. We were told the suggested way to eat them (by Ming) it to wrap a spring roll and some slaw with a lettuce leaf and dipped it in the sauce. So incredibly flavorful, a little messy, but worth every drip.For my main course I had the Seared George Banks Scallops with a carrot ginger sauce, creamy coconut risotto, and Scheschuan style green beans. Everything about it was amazing. The substantially sized scallops were perfectly cooked, the risotto was so creamy and delicious, and the green beans had just a slight char to them that made them so flavorful.
On top of it all was thin crunchy almost shoestring type sweet potatoes but I think they were actually carrots...yum!

The finale was a sesame macadamia caramel nut tart with toasted coconut ice cream, hot fudge, and caramel. This was oooey googey heaven...The tart almost tasted like a warm dense macaroon and cooked enough that it made like a crust on the bottom....SO GOOD! The perfect ending. I would definitely recommend this place for a special dinner, and will be returning!

This morning I had a classic breakfast of double protein toast, PB, pumpkin butter, and banana
On a new place mat :)

After a meeting with another florist, we returned to find one of my friends from college had arrived! (she is visiting for my bday). We went for sushi and manicures!

We tried a new sushi place in Somerville...Snappy Sushi. I loved the decor, very modern and they have a big communal table in the main room. We had a nice corner to ourselves.We ordered the shrimp and vegetable shumai, edamame, and of course...sushi!
Cute little soy sauce pot!From left to right... yellow tail, Philadelphia rolls (smoked salmon and cream cheese), California roll (in the back), spicy tuna (front). I really not too much of a fan of raw fish (it's a texture thing)...so I stuck to the California rolls and Philadelphia rolls..

One thing I loved about this place was that all their sushi is made with Brown Rice! I love the nutty almost sweetness that the brown rice brings.

Now it's time to get ready for the night....dinner at Rustic Kitchen and then out dancing!!

Have a great night!

12 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a yummy birthday dinner! So glad you had fun! Love your new placemat...The little things make life so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun weekend!! And such good eats! I hope you are having an absolute blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great eats! I love Japanese food :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE Ming Tsai!! Such a talented chef. That dessert you had at his restaurant looks INSANELY decadent and delightful - yum!!

    Hooray for fantastic birthday eats - yum!!

    Love the new placemat!! :-)

    Enjoy your evening, Bridget!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for a delicious birthday event! I love the cute soy sauce pot.

    I don't eat fish, so my sushi is veggie rolls, but I always appreciate brown rice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sushi sushi sushi sushi! Yum! I am starting to see it everywhere and intensely craving it. Yum girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, such great eats! especially the dessert :)

    i've tagged you for a meme, checkout my latest post for details!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what an awesome nice! And delicious eats! thanks for sharing such a great experience with us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your sushi looks awesome!!!

    I saw your comment on my blog this morning-- I've found the coconut cream pie Larabar at Whole Foods, but nowhere else really. I always have to make a special trip to get them, but it's totally worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard good things about Blue Ginger but after seeing your pics I have to go!!! The sushi looks super delicious too! Looks like a great weekend!

    I'm posting a restaurant review tonight too, but mine was unfortunately dissapointing:(

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE scallops! your whole birthday dinner is exactly what I would order! YUM. and then the sushi too - perfect eats!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww what a very fun night! :) That drink you ordered sounds fabulous! Glad you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete