Recipes

Monday, May 31, 2010

Lemon Pappardelle

Because of long holiday weekend, my “usual” classes at the gym (i.e. my Saturday morning and Monday evening Kickboxing classes) are cancelled!!! 

Not gonna lie this caused a momentary panic.  The worst part was I didn’t know Saturday’s 8am class was cancelled until I got there!!! 

My workout that day turned into yard work, which was fine because it was hot out and I was sweaty!

Sunday Brian and I did a nice run…about 4.6 miles.

Other randomness:

  • Saw Sex and the City 2 Friday night….LOVE!  Went with 3 of my old college roomies, and we used to watch the show alllll the time.  I own seasons 3-6 on DVD.
  • First we got soft serve….how is this a KIDDY cone?!?!  That would be vanilla/chocolate twist with JIMMIES!

IMG_9703

  • Had my first nectarines of the season!  DELICIOUS!  I love fresh peaches/nectarines!

IMG_9675

Last Sunday when Mom and I hit up Trader Joes, they were sampling this Lemon pasta + tuna dish.  (They are always sampling something and 95% of the time I end up buying whatever it is)

1. – I’ve always been skeeved out by Tuna in oil (not any more.)
2. – I’ve never added canned tuna to anything besides sandwiches and cold salads.
3. – THIS WAS AWESOME!

Lemon Pepper Pappardelle + tuna + capers

IMG_9653

  • For 4 servings cook up 1 package of TJ’s Lemon Pepper Pappardelle  (got a big lemon smell when I opened the bag :)

IMG_9655

  • Once cooked, combine with 2 cans of Solid White tuna in Olive Oil.

IMG_9654

The say not to drain the oil as it basically becomes the sauce…but I did drain some of the oil.

  • Add half a jar of capers….or capers to your liking WITH their juice!  I am a caper lover :)
  • Squeeze of fresh lemon juice

My additions were to serve over baby arugula for more greens, and to add a sprinkling of fresh parsley on top for color.

IMG_9656

This was so easy and DELICIOUS!  The freshness from the lemon makes it so you don’t feel like your just eating canned tuna.  Plus what an easy way to add protein to a pasta dish.

IMG_9657

Once the pasta is cooked this comes together in like 2 minutes.

IMG_9659

Enhanced my Lemony dinner with lemon seltzer

      IMG_9661

Not to mention the leftovers were amazing cold.

I’d definitely recommend the TJ’s lemon pepper pappardelle pasta, but this recipe can easily be made if you don’t live near a TJ’s. 

I bet you could find another lemon pasta at a specialty store or even just use any other pasta and maybe add some lemon juice and lemon rind to the water you cook it in.  I might try that method with whole wheat pasta next time. 

4 comments:

  1. That soft serve looks AMAZING! I had never heard the term jimmies until I moved to Boston. We were confused as to what people were referring to when they talked about jimmies for a few weeks ;). Bummer your classes were canceled! Bah! But glad you still got in some awesome sweaty workouts. The pasta looks like it turned out perfect. I want a TJs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a kid size cone, I would hate to see the portion of an adult cone. I like to add tuna to pasta and rice, it's so quick and easy and great fro protein.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cone looked just delightful! It'll have to stop raining here before I get my hands on one!

    Jealous of your Trader Joes goodies- but not for long, I'm road tripping to Seattle to find myself some treats next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cone is so awesome! I think I need some ice cream!
    I'm going to see the movie tomorrow, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete