Recipes

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Bringing Maine Home

Happy Long Weekend!!

Where to begin, I feel like I have a huge backlog of things I want to write about and they would never fit in one post.  Times like these I wish I posted more frequently…maybe something to work on this week.

So, I’m back tracking to last weekend.  Brian’s Birthday was last Sunday and we had just gotten back from Maine the day before.  Because we were away those days, his actual birthday day had to be a big yard work day, but it was really nice out and well it just needed to be done.

I did tell him he didn’t have to go grocery shopping which I think he was happy about.  Actually my mom came up and her and I set out for food. 

After a trip to:

I had tons of fresh produce, stocked up on TJ’s treats (including a dinner I was inspired to make while at the store…yeah that’s another post), a super delicious Birthday dinner, and a sweet Birthday treat!

The Birthday dinner I had planned was very “Maine”-centric. 

One of my purchases in Portland was these guys…

IMG_9631

I picked them up at a favorite store of mine: Le Roux Kitchen

Blueberry Balsamic Vinegar and Blood Orange Olive Oil

I always visit this store when I’m on Martha’s Vineyard and I was very happy when I saw it in Portland!  They have numerous stainless steel dispensers of many flavored olive oils and vinegars that you can sample. 

I knew these would turn any salad into something special, and I was right.

IMG_9632

With all my fresh produce I created a big garden salad with:

  • Green Leaf Lettuce
  • Arugula
  • cucumber
  • tomato
  • grilled green peppers
  • grilled red onion
  • fresh local goat cheese
  • salt & pepper
  • drizzle of my new oil and vinegar

IMG_9633

The best bites were the ones with the blueberry balsamic + goat cheese :)  Almost dessert-like.

IMG_9634

P.S.  I love serving salads on platters.  They just look so much more pretty and you can see all the ingredients.

Grilled Corn…so sweet, no need for butter.

IMG_9636

More grilled veggies

IMG_9637

The Maine course (haha) was…

IMG_9635

obviously I hadn’t had enough.

IMG_9638

Actually they were so cheap at the grocery store I bought a few extra to have for lunch the next day :) 

Yes I’m that girl who brings a container of lobster meat to work.

The sweet ending was a sampling of cupcakes from Cake.

        IMG_9643

  • White Out (top left) – white cake, some sort of white filling, white icing, and coconut
    • this was our least favorite…the cake was a little dry
  • Lemon (top right) – yellow cake, lemon filling, lemon butter cream, and a little lemon gummy bear on top!
    • MMmmmmmm I love lemon.  The flavor in the frosting was subtle so not too overpowering, but delicious.
  • Red Carpet (bottom right) – red velvet cake, cream cheese frosting, a mini Oreo + cookie crumbs on top
    • delicious!  The cake was moist and what could be bad about cream cheese frosting!
  • Sprinkles (yeah can’t remember the real name) – simple golden cake with chocolate buttercream and sprinkles
    • this was my favorite because that chocolate buttercream was just soooo good!  Simple combination but you know it works every time. 

I think it turned out to be a great birthday for Brian :)

Things to come:

  • the TJ’s inspired dinner I mentioned
  • OUR YARD!!! 
  • Beer Tasting
  • Other randomness

I’m going to continue my Sunday morning productively and write some more posts :)

6 comments:

  1. beer tasting-- yumm.

    salad looks beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a great meal. The salad is just gorgeous and I can never get enough grilled veggies. The Blueberry Balsamic Vinegar sounds out of this world- what a find. A new olive oil/vinegar store just opened in our town that sounds very similar to yours- I can't wait to visit. Enjoy your long weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so jealous you got to check out a fair- I tried so hard when I was living in Missouri to get to some kind of state fair and it never happened for me!

    I'm with you on the goat cheese and balsamic bites- so freaking good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can never go wrong with cupcakes. Those ones look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautifully arranged salad! A lobster! It's been over 2 years since I've had one! Super!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i miss eating lobster in massachusetts so much :( the lobster in SC is not the same. mmmm lobster rolls too!

    ReplyDelete