Recipes

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Winners, Squash, and Beans!

Random Integer Generator

Here are your random numbers:

3
31
41

Timestamp: 2009-04-15 14:34:22 UTC

Winners are:

Erica at Itzy's Kitchen

Kelsey (reader)

and Megan from Healthy on the Run

Congratulations!!
Please email me your addresses along with your preferred prizes ranked 1-3 with "1" being your first choice.

Choices are:

The Fiber One Chocolate Giveaway

Yoplait Giveaway

3 Zoe's Bars (1 of each flavor)


I'd also like to thank everyone for your awesome ideas for me to use up the Coconut milk yogurt. I'll say, though, the decision was EASY!!! I can't even tell you how long I've wanted to bite into a Veggie Girl Blondie!!

I took one of her Blondie Recipes...like the one here...and added some coconut, sliced almonds, vegan choc chips, a few PB and Milk choc. chips

Then topped them off with some big unsweetened coconut flakes.

Mmmmm...I can definitely see myself re-using this recipe and experimenting with ingredients! My one complaint is that I could STILL taste the weird "vanilla" flavor from that yogurt!! Maybe I'd use plain next time.

They were particularly good with a tiny smear of PB :)


I have to toot my own horn and say I made up a Kick Ass dinner Monday night!!

It started with a squash...my mom had baked 2 whole butternut squashes for Easter, but didn't end up needing them since my aunt brought the Squash Souffle. So I took 1 home; God knows I'd use it!

So there we have 2 baked butternut squash halves in a bag

We also had black beans, fresh cilantro, salsa...mmm.

Butternut Squash and Black Bean Burgers (well more like cakes)

  • 1/2 of a baked butternut squash (scraped out of skin)
  • 1 can Black Beans
  • handful (maybe 2-3T) fresh cilantro, chopped
  • *1 clove garlic (finely chopped or use a garlic press!)
  • **2/3 cup Quick Oats \
  • salt
  • pepper
  • spices - anything you like, I added a few shakes each of:
  • cumin
  • garlic powder
  • smoked paprika
  • Chipotle powder
  • Penzey's Fajita Seasoning
*I'd add another clove next time
**I'd increase this to 1 cup for added texture and bulk

Mash all ingredients together in a bowl using a potato masherForm into patties, and grilled on my grill pan on med/high heat for a few min on each side. There's obviously nothing that needs cooking.

Next time I'd maybe try something to make them crispier on the outside??

I served these on a half of a toasted Arnold's Sandwich Thin, and topped with some lite Sour Cream and salsa!Also grilled some zucchini with the some olive oil and Fajita Seasoning as well :)

These were AWESOME!!! I had a little canned pineapple on the side because I thought something sweet would be a great counterpart, but didn't even need it because the natural sweetness from the squash came through beautifully!!

The key/best part was the fresh cilantro...I know some people hate it (don't understand that one), but its what makes these incredible!!!
It made 8 patties, I'd say 2 per serving (well that's what I ate). They were awesome for lunch at work the next day too, I just packed my little containers of sour cream and salsa...I am the queen of little containers :)

A quick enter into SparkRecipes and each serving (2 cakes/patties) have:
Nutritional Info
  • Servings Per Recipe: 4
  • Amount Per Serving
  • Calories: 176.4
  • Total Fat: 1.5 g
  • Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
  • Sodium: 5.1 mg
  • Total Carbs: 35.1 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 10.0 g
  • Protein: 8.3 g
Yay for Fiber! I think Avocado would be a GREAT addition as well.

11 comments:

  1. Those burgers look great. And good use of the yogurt in Veggie Girl's recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HORRAY FOR VG BLONDIES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great use for the yogurt! The blondies look amazing! Love the burgers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for trying one of my recipes!! DEfinitely use plain yogurt next time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray! I am so excited that I won! Your VeggieGirl blondies look incredible as does your dinner! You've been doing some great cooking :) Hey- my sister is supposed to have her baby soon (and she lives up near your to be husband). I am hoping to come up once the baby is born- I will let you know, maybe we can meet for coffee??

    ReplyDelete
  6. everything looks seriously AWESOME!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. your blondies looked like they turned out AMAZING :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats to the winners! What a great recipe and baking project!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum these burgers and blondies look great! Way to go girlie :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice burgers!

    If you go to Whole Foods look for my brother! His name is Billy. Say hi - he won't be creeped out and he can help you pick out some super cheeses. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh i have to try those burgers! they sound so good...and you can never go wrong with veggie girl blondies! yum :)

    ReplyDelete