So I definitely spoke too soon about the weather…rain, rain, and more rain until later this week. Oh well, I’ll take it over snow any day!!
P.S. I really miss more frequently posting. As you can tell I currently post 2-3 times a week (hopefully) and when I do post I have this influx of material that I talk about and it can be all over the place with topics and pictures. Probably why it seems so daunting to me sometimes…it’s too much! So…maybe…I might try shorter more frequent posts. See how that goes. That’s what I did when I first started the blog back in ’08! Also gives me more of a chance to discuss everyday things, which I also miss (but have been trying to do more of lately).
Back to the regularly scheduled post:
Muffins! I love muffins. Love eating them and baking them. They are my go-to baked good because they are so versatile, can easily be made HEALTHY, and are pretty forgiving when it comes to “exactness” of a recipe. Over the years I’ve made quite a few variations:
Within the realm of muffins, Banana muffins are clearly my most frequently baked. Over ripe bananas lend so much flavor, sweetness, and moistness to a baked good that it makes it easy to cut out other sugars and fats and still have a delicious breakfast treat!
These muffins were inspired by a package of Medjool dates I recently purchased! I know I’m a little late to the “date” party, but they’ve never been my favorite… I love when they are in baked goods, but I find them a little too big and sweet for my taste, even though the sweetness is natural.
However I still wanted to buy them and give them a go.
I referred back to my Everything banana Muffins for this recipe!
Banana Date Muffins pre-heat oven to 375
The Dry Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/4 cup Oat Bran
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 (heaping) tsp nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp organic brown sugar
The Wet Ingredients:
- 3 very ripe bananas mashed
- 1 T canola oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 egg white
- 1 T Maple Syrup
- 1/4 cup almond milk (I used Vanilla Almond Breeze)
- 2/3 cup buttermilk (or use 1 cup buttermilk instead of the Almond milk and buttermilk)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup chopped dates (chop dates and let sit in a bowl covered with boiling water while you prepare the muffins, drain before adding to the muffin batter)
1. Combine dry ingredients into a med/large mixing bowl. 2. Mash bananas in a smaller mixing bowl (I use a potato masher), then add in rest of wet ingredients 3. Pour wet over dry and mix with a spoon until combined. 4. Fold in nuts and dates 5. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray/canola oil spray or line with muffin liners 6. Fill muffins almost all the way full, and add any optional toppings like raw sugar sprinkled on top or some oat flake
What else should I do with my dates???
Supposed to take a half day of work tomorrow because I have a fun afternoon planned…including a massage! But of course I wake up with a scratchy throat...hmmm. I’ve been downing Emergen-C’s, Vitamin C, and Echinacea all day!
I even just brewed a “tea” with lemon, fresh ginger, honey, and cayenne pepper! Hope it helps :)
Also made this chili for dinner tonight. Made it with 2 jalapeños and ground turkey…so flavorful and delicious.
Early bed time for this chica!