Recipes

Monday, April 4, 2011

My Muffin Repertoire

So I definitely spoke too soon about the weather…rain, rain, and more rain until later this week. Oh well, I’ll take it over snow any day!!


P.S. I really miss more frequently posting. As you can tell I currently post 2-3 times a week (hopefully) and when I do post I have this influx of material that I talk about and it can be all over the place with topics and pictures. Probably why it seems so daunting to me sometimes…it’s too much! So…maybe…I might try shorter more frequent posts. See how that goes. That’s what I did when I first started the blog back in ’08! Also gives me more of a chance to discuss everyday things, which I also miss (but have been trying to do more of lately).


Back to the regularly scheduled post:


IMG_8521


Muffins! I love muffins. Love eating them and baking them. They are my go-to baked good because they are so versatile, can easily be made HEALTHY, and are pretty forgiving when it comes to “exactness” of a recipe. Over the years I’ve made quite a few variations:


Strawberry Almond Oat Muffins


Glorious Morning Muffins


Zucchini Muffins with Streusel Topping


Mixed Berry Goat Cheese Muffins


Everything (banana) Muffins


Whole Grain Banana Muffins (with nuts and choc chips)


Banana Blueberry Muffins


Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins


Choco-Coconut Banana Muffins


Banana Hazelnut Muffins


Within the realm of muffins, Banana muffins are clearly my most frequently baked. Over ripe bananas lend so much flavor, sweetness, and moistness to a baked good that it makes it easy to cut out other sugars and fats and still have a delicious breakfast treat!


These muffins were inspired by a package of Medjool dates I recently purchased! I know I’m a little late to the “date” party, but they’ve never been my favorite… I love when they are in baked goods, but I find them a little too big and sweet for my taste, even though the sweetness is natural.


However I still wanted to buy them and give them a go.


I referred back to my Everything banana Muffins for this recipe!


Banana Date Muffins pre-heat oven to 375


The Dry Ingredients:


IMG_8509



  • 1 1/2 cups White Whole Wheat Flour

  • 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour

  • 1/2 cup quick oats

  • 1/4 cup Oat Bran

  • 2 tsp Baking powder

  • 1.5 tsp baking soda

  • 1 tsp salt

  • 1/4 (heaping) tsp nutmeg

  • 2 Tbsp organic brown sugar

The Wet Ingredients:


IMG_8510



  • 3 very ripe bananas mashed

  • 1 T canola oil

  • 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce

  • 1 egg white

  • 1 T Maple Syrup

  • 1/4 cup almond milk (I used Vanilla Almond Breeze)

  • 2/3 cup buttermilk (or use 1 cup buttermilk instead of the Almond milk and buttermilk)

  • 1 tsp vanilla

The Add-Ins:



  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

  • 3/4 cup chopped dates (chop dates and let sit in a bowl covered with boiling water while you prepare the muffins, drain before adding to the muffin batter)

1. Combine dry ingredients into a med/large mixing bowl. 2. Mash bananas in a smaller mixing bowl (I use a potato masher), then add in rest of wet ingredients 3. Pour wet over dry and mix with a spoon until combined. 4. Fold in nuts and dates 5. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray/canola oil spray or line with muffin liners 6. Fill muffins almost all the way full, and add any optional toppings like raw sugar sprinkled on top or some oat flake


IMG_8511 7. Bake at 375 for 17-18 min NOTE: I had extra batter so I filled 2 ramekins as well and put them in the oven at the same time. They were done at the same time as the muffins for me.


IMG_8514






IMG_8517


IMG_8519 Another Banana Muffin success! Bananas, dates, and walnuts are a pretty classic pairing and they did not disappoint.


IMG_8524


Especially with a cappuccino of course. IMG_8528


What else should I do with my dates???






IMG_8531


Supposed to take a half day of work tomorrow because I have a fun afternoon planned…including a massage! But of course I wake up with a scratchy throat...hmmm. I’ve been downing Emergen-C’s, Vitamin C, and Echinacea all day!


I even just brewed a “tea” with lemon, fresh ginger, honey, and cayenne pepper! Hope it helps :)


Also made this chili for dinner tonight. Made it with 2 jalapeños and ground turkey…so flavorful and delicious.


Early bed time for this chica!


Goodnight!


Back Camera

6 comments:

  1. oh no! Feel better! You need your afternoon off and massage time!! I know how hard you've been working. I love muffins too. I actually buy bananas hoping they will start to get too brown before Josh/I eat them ;). The muffins look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pink ramekins are so cute. The muffins sound so good. I agree about the banana's being so good to bake with for sweetness and moisture. I also love applesauce for the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipes - and they seem pretty healthy too! I feel overwhelmed about "capturing it all" on my blog too. Sometimes simple is better. And if you spread your weekend recaps over a few posts, you get more bang for your buck too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love love muffins - they're my favorite breakfast lately (just had the TJ's orange cranberry bran muffin - so good!).
    Hope you feel better. I'm going to give this muffin recipe a go soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m not that much of a internet reader to be honest but your sites
    really nice, keep it up! I'll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back later. Cheers
    Look at my web blog :: endurance drink

    ReplyDelete