Recipes

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Fresh Berry Lemon Muffins

This past weekend when I was shopping for food to make lunch for Brian’s mom and sister, I also went a little crazy with the fruit.

I don’t know what it was, but there were such great sales!

I bought 4lbs of strawberries and 4 containers of blueberries! 

IMG_8789

I’ve been eating them with breakfast…on toast and in yogurt, and on their own, but I wanted to make a baked good.

Clearly muffins are my baked good of choice ;)

And nothing goes better with berries than fresh lemon!

IMG_8813

I love lemon and berries combined…so many possibilities.

These muffins are light and dense at the same time.  Hard to explain, but I used milk, yogurt, AND some ricotta I had in the fridge.  That combined with fresh berries, keeps the muffins very moist.  They have a light, subtle lemon, subtle sweetness to them.

IMG_8816
(I always make such a mess when I bake!)

IMG_8817

Fresh Berry Lemon Muffins 

  • 1 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup quick oats
  • 1/2 cup organic granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • zest from 1 lemon
  • 2 T canola oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup skim milk
  • 1/4 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
  • 2 T part skim ricotta (or just use more Greek yogurt)
  • 1/2 cup blueberries
  • 5-6 large strawberries, chopped

pre-heat oven to 375

Combine dry ingredients into a mixing bowl (flour through to salt).  **feel free to increase the sugar slightly if you prefer a sweeter muffin.

In a separate bowl combine lemon juice, zest, oil, egg, milk, yogurt, and ricotta.  Mix to combine.

Add wet ingredients to dry, and stir gently just to combine.  Fold in berries.

IMG_8818

Spray a muffin tin with canola oil spray

IMG_8819

  I used all the batter for the 12 cups, and filled them pretty much to the top.

Bake for 17-18 min, until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Let cool for a couple minutes in the pan before removing. 

Then cool on baking rack.

IMG_8824

IMG_8834

IMG_8835

They feel heavy from all the fresh fruit inside, but taste light and delicious.  Not too sweet, which makes for a great breakfast muffin!

These muffins have approx. 150 calories a piece :)

IMG_8845

9 comments:

  1. These muffins sounds great! I love that you used yogurt and ricotta. I just made some muffins the other day and cleaned out random stuff in the fridge and pantry to make them. Love when recipes just come together like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would love one of these muffins, please :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree- lemon and berries go so awesome together. The texture on these look great! I totally want to make them. I may need to over do it on the berries at the store this weekend too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went crazy last week and bought blueberries and strawberries too! I think this warm weather has me craving summer fruits!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum. The combo of berries sounds scrumptious and I bet it's perfect with just a bit of lemon for brightness and contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have some lemon and strawberries in my fridge, so this recipe sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that lemon (and berries) is sooo good in muffins! And cookies, too. These are so beautiful!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  8. So perfect for spring! I like that you used ricotta in them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your baking is so inspirational. Makes me want to get in the kitchen for other things besides making dinner :)

    ReplyDelete