Recipes

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Domestic Goddess Day

I was all super-domestic wife this past Monday. I use “domestic” in a good sense though…I love it sometimes! I had President’s Day off while the boy went off to work.  I woke up to what almost felt like a mini-hangover from my “heavy” drinking at Valentine’s Dinner…I’m such a light weight, that champagne cocktail + glass of wine had be buzzin all night!

First task at hand was to get my butt to the grocery store for some milk, we ran out Sunday and I was not spending my day off without a cappuccino!

As soon as I returned I made a super creamy bowl of banana oats and a comforting cappuccino.

IMG_8271

The Oats:

  • 1/3 cup oats
  • 1/3 c. skim milk
  • 1/3 c. water
  • 1/2 ripe banana
  • pinch of salt
  • dash of cinnamon
    IMG_8273

Toppings:

  • Kashi Go Lean Crunch Honey Almond Flax
  • shredded sweetened coconut
  • bit of trail mix (including some choc. and pb chips)
  • spoon of raw crunchy almond butter

Mmmm perfect breakfast.

IMG_8272

The rest of the day consisted of errands and things, including trips to a some of my favorite grocery stores :) 

One thing I picked up was this:

IMG_8277

I’ve bought this before and totally missed blogging about it, Chocolate Oikos!!!!!  I was a little skeptical at first.

Looks like this when you open it…

IMG_8278

the chocolate is hiding on the bottom

IMG_8279

Stir it all up real good.  My very first bite was interesting.  I didn’t know what to make of it, but couldn’t stop eating it!  Tangy yet rich and chocolaty!  I’ve decided now that I’m kind of OBSESSED!  I couldn’t put the spoon down :)
IMG_8280

I made it into even more of a treat with some natural marshmallow cream, and crushed graham cracker.

IMG_8282

Now onto dinner.  I wanted to make a classic home cooked dinner, and decided on a delicious roasted chicken and roasted vegetables.

I picked up baby Yukon gold potatoes, carrots, brussel sprouts and onion.  Tossed in olive oil, salt, and pepper.IMG_8276

IMG_8283

I based my chicken of the recipe for “Perfect Roast Chicken” from the Barefoot Contessa Cookbook.  I heart my cookbook stand :)

IMG_8288

The chicken was stuffed with lemon, garlic, fresh thyme, and fresh rosemary.

IMG_8274

Brushed with olive oil and added kosher salt, black pepper, and more herbs to the skin.

  IMG_8285

It was now time for Body Combat…hey it may have been a day off from work, but I wasn’t about to miss my new favorite workout of the week.

I left Brian nice detailed instructions for when to add the veggies to the oven, and to check the temp of the chicken when the timer goes off. 

When I returned, the house smelt amazing and this was waiting on the stove.

IMG_8291

IMG_8290

Mmmm juicy chicken!

IMG_8293

I even got ambitious and made a batch of the infamous Super Charge Me cookies!

IMG_8294

IMG_8295

Love these!

IMG_8296

Hope you’re having a great weekend.  It was unseasonably warm today (by warm I mean high 40’s)…so I got in a great run with the boy.  It’s almost bed time…yeah it’s a low-key weekend.  I’d love to post about today…today, however I think that’ll have to wait until tomorrow :)

Good Night!                  

11 comments:

  1. I've tried the caramel Oikos and LOVED it, so I really must try the chocolate. Fantastic idea to top the yogurt with graham crackers and marshmallow cream!

    I haven't made Super Charge Me cookies in a while... they're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love days spent in the kitchen- so relaxing/comforting! I have been seeing these fun flavors of oikos everywhere...except my food store! I so want to try both the chocolate and caramel. Great job on the dinner- I'm sure the man was more than excited to get home to eat that. Its like you extended out Valentine's day for 1 more day! So awesome. Enjoy the Boston warmth

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey!
    i just found your blog and i can't wait to continue reading!
    i would love it if you could come check out my blog and follow as well :)
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am obsessed with your purple place mats!!

    If you loved the chocolate oikos you will go crazy over the caramel (at least I did)

    happy day you domestic diva, you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Barefoot Contessa recipes! She always has great granola/almost healthy options too!
    What kind of natural marshmallow creme do you use??

    ReplyDelete
  6. The oatmeal and the cookies looked so good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're hands down the best wife. Beautiful home cooked dinner and cookies? Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE your oats bowl - and your mug!

    Have you tried the caramel Okios? I have heard that it is better then the chocolate one. I can't seem to find either of them!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that's a mighty fine lookin bowl of oats you have there! i can't find those dessert yogurts ANYWHERE, what's up with that?! i even have coupons to get them free, but i can't locate them lol. thanks for the tip about bakign with powdered buttermilk, i had no idea that even existed! very smart idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great roast chicken! I have been meaning to try one myself, since you can use it for leftovers for so many days!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm still trying to hunt down the new Oikos yogurts- I know they are hiding somewhere! I had Monday off too and I told my hubby that I would be a domestic forever if I never had to work again! It didn't work!

    The meal you cooked looks amazing, too!

    ReplyDelete