Recipes

Saturday, August 20, 2011

HLS: Being a Philly Tourist Day 1

Ok this post wouldn’t load last night so let’s pretend it’s 10:30pm last night :)

Welcome to the city of brotherly love.

I took an 8:30am flight out of Boston this morning, to Philadelphia for the Healthy Living Summit!  The last time I went to the HLS was when it was in Boston 2 years ago.

I had planned to room with fellow Boston blogger and dog lover, Elizabeth, and wouldn’t you know we ended up sitting next to each other on the same flight!!  Crazy. 

Once we landed, shared a cab with Janetha to the hotel, and checked in, the two of us went on a little nerd-fest/touristy day around Philly!

Our hotel room!

IMG_0620

IMG_1479

First, however, we were both starving and headed to the Reading Terminal Market to browse and grab lunch.

IMG_0626

This place is so cool!  Boston needs one of these places asap.  Anything you can think of is here.

IMG_0624

IMG_0625

IMG_0627

IMG_0629

After making the rounds we opted for Italian.

IMG_0632

I got a sampling of some of the prepared salads…a Greek salad, and a chicken fusili.

IMG_0630

And 1 meatball.  Because that’s how I roll.

Then we were off…

IMG_0634
Independence Hall!

IMG_0637

We were all over the Liberty Bell…yes it’s still there, and still cracked. 

IMG_0642

Pretty cool nonetheless…

IMG_0646

Even got my picture taken with George…

IMG_0641

IMG_0663

IMG_0668

An original version of the Declaration of Independence that came before the one that was signed.

IMG_0673

Tomb of the unknown soldier

IMG_0676

Then there was more walking, but we took a break to stop into a place that I know Brian would have wanted to go to if he were here:

IMG_0683

IMG_0681

IMG_1488

I enjoyed a Monk’s Cafe Flemish Sour Ale.

IMG_1491

It was a little sweeter than I would have liked, but refreshing still!

Later, there was some snacking in the form of pickles from the Market

IMG_0684

And I also grabbed coffee #2 of the day so I’d be awake for the Cocktail Party!

So far I’ve been having a blast with Elizabeth!!  We just got back from the cocktail party not to long ago, but it’s very much bedtime as we are meeting some folks for a 6am run in the morning!!

Good night!

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun sight seeing day! I haven't been to Philadelphia in forever, I need to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great first day-yall packed it in! Isnt that market awesome? Enjoy the rest of the weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Philly is one of my favorite cities! I absolutely love the Reading Terminal Market! Supposedly the Boston Public Market is being modeled after that and the San Francisco Ferry Building.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks like a blast. i'm diggin the hotel room decor and you with GW!

    ReplyDelete