Recipes

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Zo Boston and Fall Preview

Good Morning!  It’s a dreary, rainy, yet relaxing morning around here.  Perfect time for a weekly recap post of sorts.

First, a new work-day lunch finding!  I’m sure I’ll be posting all about these “new” (to me) fun places, and you’ll be thinking …where have you been, these aren’t exactly new!

Even though I’ve lived in the Boston/Greater Boston area my entire life, there are certain place in the city that are ONLY open on weekdays, and sometimes with limited hours catering only to the people with your standard Mon-Fri, 8-5 job.

This is most definitely the case with my latest finding: Zo.  I saw the ridiculously good reviews on Yelp so I was confident that this would be a good choice.

Zo is a small take-out restaurant at 3 Center Plaza in Boston, serving delicious Greek cuisine.  Their short but crowd-pleasing menu makes for long but fast lines, and super fresh delicious food!

They are also ONLY open from 11am-3pm Mon-Friday!  You know the food must be good when a place can thrive on being open only 20 hours a week!

Line out the door when I arrived:

IMG_1346 
Not to worry, the line went FAST! 

As it was my first time, I had to go with the classic Gyro.

Once I had that warm Gyro in my hands, I couldn’t even wait the 10min walk back to the office.  Plus it was a gorgeous day, so I sat on a ledge nearby and chowed down.

IMG_1347

This did NOT disappoint!  Warm fresh pita filled with lean rotisserie pork, tomatoes, onion, and tzatziki sauce!

Simply amazing…I ate the whole thing.

IMG_1349

That same day, I noticed a farmers market going on across the street at Gov’t Center.  

I walked through and was excited to see some Paula Red apples out!!!  I CAN NOT WAIT FOR APPLE SEASON!!

IMG_1350

I love Paula Red’s…nice and tart!  I think I’m going to be buying a lot more of these.

Beer.

Pumpkin Beer!

It’s not that I want summer to be over…I don’t.  BUT I can’t WAIT for Fall!!!

IMG_0562

First of the season.  Really liked this one!

IMG_0563

Picked this up at the Craft Beer Cellar in Belmont.  I love this place because you can just buy ONE bottle out of a six-pack.  Great to try lots of different varieties.    

Another Fall-ish food came in cookie form.

IMG_0549

Recently I had ordered the “C’Ville Bundle” from Kath’s Open Sky store.  I really wanted to try those C’Ville Clusters (which were amazing btw), but the package also came with some pancake and oatmeal mixes.

IMG_0552

When Brian first saw this bag, he immediately thought it was cookie mix ;)   That got me thinking, because I didn’t think I’d get around to eating the whole bag as oatmeal.

So I winged it and made Oatmeal Raisin Cookies!

IMG_0550

Minus two 1/2 cup servings I took out to try as oatmeal sometime, to the rest of the mix I added:

  • 2 T maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup apple sauce
  • 2 T melted butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt

Mixed all together, spooned batter onto pan, baked at 350 for 8-9 min. 

They came out AWESOME!  Not as dense as a typical oatmeal raisin cookie, but still chewy, soft, and the flavor was dead on.

So to wrap up this totally random Sunday post, I give you breakfast:

IMG_0579

Open faced egg sandwich with:

  • 1 egg
  • few shakes of Tabasco while cooking
  • fresh basil added while cooking 
  • cheddar
  • sliced garden tomato

IMG_0574

Side of:

  • Non-fat plain Greek yogurt
  • homemade blueberry sauce
  • coconut
  • sliced almonds

 IMG_0575

IMG_0576

Iced Latte…obvi

IMG_0577

IMG_0582

SO good.   

4-hour dance rehearsal this afternoon, then picking up a few groceries before I get back to relaxing for the rest of the night :)

Anyone else getting excited for Fall yet????

9 comments:

  1. Wow! Those are oddd hours! Glad you were able to get in and get a delicious looking meal! I totally want to try some of Kath's goodies. Love Oatmeal cookies. Fall? I want fall flavors but not the weather ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work over on Staniford Street. I may have to walk over to ZO for lunch sometime.

    And as for the Harpoon Pumpkin UFO, that is also on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw Shipyard pumpkin beer in the store a few weeks ago and haven't stopped drinking it since!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want that breakfast. even if it's almost 7pm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes and no - I love the coziness of fall and, if it didn't mean winter was coming, I'd be all about it. But summer is so spectacular in Boston I also don't want it to end!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Breakfast looks delicious... and so does that gyro! I hate to say it but I am looking forward to fall. It's not that I want summer to be over... I just love fall clothes and temperatures... and I'm ready for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm SO excited for fall! But I hate to admit that, because that means that summer is coming to an end and I don't want to wish it away! I can't say I'm not looking forward to leaves and pumpkin and apple picking :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. After Greece I have been looking for a GREAT Gyro place and have heard about Zo - somehow I will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete