My apologies! Luckily, these would be great all summer long…and beyond!
I’m sure this idea has been done before. I mean, it must have right??
But I randomly thought it up in my head as I was thinking of fun dessert ideas for my Mexican-themed BBQ.
I was SO excited about the idea that I didn’t even want to try to look it up online…I wanted to just pretend this was a Bridget-original, even though I’m willing to bet it’s not!
My original thoughts consisted of home-baked cinnamon sugar tortilla chips, topped with fresh fruit, homemade chocolate sauce, and a fresh whipped cream topping!
Dessert Nachos were born.
Serves 8-12 easily (probably more)
- 2 packages 8” tortillas – I used 1 package white, 1 whole wheat and there were 8 to a package
- 3T butter melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Fresh fruit, I used:
- 1 pint strawberries, sliced
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1/2 pint raspberries
- chopped fresh pineapple would be really good too!
- 1 cup (8 oz) semi-sweet or dark chocolate (chips or chopped)
- Heavy Cream, divided: 3/4 cup and 1 cup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup Mascarpone cheese
- 2 T orange juice
- 2 T confectioners sugar
The tortilla “chips” may be made 1 day ahead. Once cooled, store in large ziploc bag.
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Cut Tortillas into quarters and arrange on baking sheet. Get as many on the baking sheet as possible. I let them slightly overlap, but not much.
- Using a pastry brush, brush each tortilla quarter with butter
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar
- Bake for 9-10 min, just until crisp…careful not to burn!
- Let cool on baking rack
- Combine sliced strawberries and other fruits/berries in a bowl. Sprinkle with 1-2 tsp granulated sugar if desired, set aside.
This step can also be done a head of time.
Prepare chocolate sauce just before serving.
- Combine the 3/4 cup heavy cream and chocolate in a small sauce pan.
- Heat over low/med-low heat, stirring regularly, until chocolate is melted and combined with cream to form a smooth silky sauce.
- Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla
- Set Aside, until cream is whipped and ready to assemble.
Whipped cream topping
Also to be prepare just before serving.
- Combine mascarpone cheese, 1 cup cream, orange juice, and confectioners sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer, starting low and working up to high, until soft/medium peaks are formed.
Arrange “chips” on platter
Top with fruit.
Next comes the chocolate sauce
Finally top with whipped cream
Serve immediately to your hungry guests!
It might seem like a lot of steps/ingredients, but really it’s just a few different preparations…each step is SO simple.
I’m sure you can tell this tastes delicious! Plus it makes for a beautiful presentation, and a really fun dish to serve to a crowd!