Recipes

Monday, April 16, 2012

Dinners Lately: Grill & Carb-light

I kind of hate the term “low-carb”.  It just reminds me of the Atkins and South Beach crazes, and all the fake and processed foods that you can still eat on those diets. 

So even though I’m shooting for less carbs lately, I’m even more committed to REAL food above all else.  

So with that said, I’ve had some delightful meals recently!

Saturday we had Brian’s mom and sister over!  It was SUCH a gorgeous day that I couldn’t very well not grill out!  I also had a craving for Mexican so we decided to make up some grilled fixin’s for Fajitas!

Chicken Fajita Marinade

  • juice of 2 limes
  • 4 cloves garlic, diced
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
  • few shakes of crushed red pepper
  • salt

Combine ingredients then add to a large Ziploc bag with your chicken.  We had 4 breasts in the bag, and marinated them for about 2-3 hours.

Grill up your chicken, some sliced bell peppers, and sliced onion.

Serve with your favorite additions:

  • tortillas
  • salsa
  • sour cream
  • avocado
  • cilantro
  • cheese
  • mango would also be good here, we didn’t have it though

IMG_4009

IMG_4010

Best eaten outside :)

IMG_4011

IMG_4012I used 1 TJ’s brown rice wrap for my fajitas!  But another idea is to serve over a bed of lettuce.

This was an easy, but fun meal for company!

Sunday was even nicer!

Grilled Steak Salads

  • grilled tri trip steak
  • baby spinach
  • cucumber, chopped
  • tomato, chopped
  • shallots, sliced
  • chives, finely chopped
  • goat cheese, crumbled
  • Dressing: balsamic, olive oil, salt and pepper

We also broke out some refreshing white wine!

IMG_4020

This was actually a bottle that we brought home from Wine Country in November.  This is a 2010 Viognier from Thumbprint Cellars in Healdsburg. 

IMG_4026

Not sure if this is a “proper” pairing, but we liked it.  This wine has a great full flavor, reminiscent of a Chardonnay to me, but without the bite…it’s smooth :)

IMG_4019

Last but not least…TONIGHT!

It was a warm warm Marathon Monday, and unfortunately I was at work.  However, I did leave a little early ;) Shhhh. 

We had some ground turkey to work with and we wanted an easy and fast dinner!

Greek Style Turkey Burgers!

  • 1 lb ground turkey, white meat
  • 1 T olive oil
  • canned artichokes: 4 chokes, chopped
  • 1/4 cup chopped olives, canned works fine here
  • crumbed feta, about 1/4 cup or more
  • salt and pepper
  • a few shakes of za’atar if you have it

Mix together with your hands, form into patties, grill.

IMG_4038

IMG_4034

I also whipped up a quick little yogurt sauce!  Just took 2-3 T of 2% plain Greek yogurt, squeeze from 1/4 lemon, salt & pepper, and whatever dried herbs and spices you like!!  I had some different mixes from Penzey’s (used more Za’atar here, Aleppo pepper, and some Sandwich Sprinkle).  Delish!  Tasted like Ranch dressing :)

As you can see I enjoyed mine on lettuce, with some tomatoes, and a sweet potato on the side.

IMG_4028

The burgers were incredibly flavorful!! 

I leave you with an outfit post!!  Long time no outfits around here.

But I have a current obsession…in the form of BRIGHT yellow skinny jeans…

IMG_3999 

They just make me happy.  I encourage you to go get some fun colored pants!!

IMG_4000

Mine are from the Gap.

Just have to get through this week…then on Friday I leave for a fun weekend in VEGAS!!  I’ve never been, SO excited to have a girls weekend by the pool :) 

Any must see or must do or must eat things while I’m in Vegas???

6 comments:

  1. FunandFearlessinBeantownApril 16, 2012 at 10:26 PM

    Lotus of Siam is known as one of the best Thai places in the country.  It is off strip and requires a reservation but SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily @ A Cambridge StoryApril 16, 2012 at 10:27 PM

    The start of grilling season is so exciting - I like to add a little yogurt sauce on top of simple dinners, too! 

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want yellow jeans now! Those are so so cute. And yum to fajitas. I can always go for Mexican. Have fun on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing beats real food.  Great to have dropped by and found this healthy recipes. Have fun on your weekend in Vegas! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've been grilling a lot too. And I had a Mexican craving tonight, so we did grilled steak qusadillas! Love this warm weather. Cute pants!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love homemade chicken fajitas too!  One of my family's favorite meals!  Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete