Recipes

Monday, April 2, 2012

10K by the Sea

Sunday I ran my best 10k yet!!

This was a last minute decision when Tina emailed me about running the Cohasset Road Race by the Sea. I figured a 6-mile run would be good for my training, and I was free, so why not?!

IMG_1147 (750x560) (photo from Tina)

In typical Bridget fashion I was running late….Cohasset is a lot farther off the highway than I had thought. I barely had time to park, use the porta-potty, and get to the starting line. I didn’t even have time to pick up my number!! So sadly I didn’t get officially timed, but I used my Garmin and it matched up with the clock at the finish line so I’m confident in my time.

It was a fairly small race (less than 15oo people), so I easily found Tina, Patricia, and Patricia’s friend Ro at the start. Patricia is also on the RTB team in case you forgot!

Well, I’m not as fast as those girls so they easily left me in their dust ;) I didn’t mind, I was not about to try and keep up at their pace! I’ve only done a handful of 3 – 5 mile runs in the past couple months, so I wasn’t exactly trained (but I do believe Crossfit helped me greatly!).

According to my Garmin (the race was over 6.1 miles actually…grrr), I ran 6.27 miles in 1:02:20! Average pace of 9:57. FOR ME…that is GREAT! Considering I’ve only ever ran a sub 30min 5k ONCE, I was not expecting this…because the course was actually very hilly!!  My only other 2 10k’s were around 1:10, so I shaved off almost 10minutes! 

I’ve decided I like rolling hills (did I really just say that??). There were lots of hills, but none were too long and they all had a downhill afterwards…which is where I made up some speed :)

IMG_1160 (750x560) (2) Plus the course was beautiful…some of the houses I saw were insane.

photo (3)

The race was very organized as well and had water stops at each mile!

After the race I found the girls + Tina’s husband Mal and we headed to the Red Lion for some food and drinks.

IMG_2485 (563x750)
(photo from Tina)

I was planning to get a beer, but their selection was less than stellar so I stuck to water and food.

Lobster Bisquephoto (4) And split a flatbread with Artichoke, Spicy Aioli, Arugula, and Mozzarella.

photo (5)

Mmmm that flatbread was goooooood.

IMG_2488 (750x563)

Fun time with fun ladies…and Mal! We had a blast talking Crossfit as we all do it except for Patricia’s friend Ro….but I think she’s convinced now ;)

In other fitness updates….I did handstand push-ups!!!  Like numerous handstand push-ups!!  If you’re just starting you put 1 or 2 small ABMATs under your head so you don’t have to go all the way down, but STILL!  I was psyched!  Luckily handstands came back to me easily as I used to do gymnastics back in the day.


(p.s. that is an ABMAT.  Source)

I also climbed a rope…not all the way to the top, but over half way…crazy.  That is definitely something I never thought I’d be able to do. 

So yes, I’m still loving Crossfit. 

This post started with a post about dinners, and then the 10k but it was getting crazy long…so 2 posts done tonight!  Holler!  Dinners to come.

Monday is done folks.

6 comments:

  1. FunandFearlessinBeantownApril 2, 2012 at 11:02 PM

    Congrats on the 10k!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Glad the race went so well. And that lobster bisque- drool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the time! and even bigger congrats on the rope climb, that is something I'm convinced I'll never do! lol, I did crossfit for a month but didn't love it, I think it was just the place. My sister is OBSESSED with it and even competes. She's crazy with her broken blood vessel eyes and shiz! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily @ A Cambridge StoryApril 3, 2012 at 9:35 PM

    Congrats on such a great race!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We actually looked at Red Lion when we were deciding where to get married. They have a great barn-like space for events. Congrats on your time!

    ReplyDelete