Recipes

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Pacific NW: Victoria & Tea at The Empress

Helllloooo there!!!  I didn’t disappear I swear!  I was just on vacation, and leading up to vacation was craziness at work and getting ready for said vacation. 

Brian and I went out west to Seattle to visit my mom.  She is living there temporarily for work, so that leaves us a free place to stay right in downtown Seattle!

She also took the days off that we were there, and we had a blast exploring Seattle as well as heading to Victoria, BC for 2 days.

I’ll do part 1 of our time in Victoria :)

Thursday morning we took a ferry right from Seattle, through the Puget Sound and into Victoria, BC which is on Vancouver Island.

IMG_5054

The ferry takes just under 3 hours, which put us in Victoria at around 10:30am!  

IMG_5057

That’s the Empress Hotel where we would be staying that night.  One of our top activities we wanted to do while in Victoria was the well known afternoon tea at the Empress Hotel.

You already know mom and I love to go to afternoon tea, and we have been going every Mothers Day for years to various locations around Boston.  

After checking into the hotel, we set out to explore.

IMG_5061

IMG_5067

IMG_5071

Victoria is a really cute city with lots of shops and very walkable as a visitor.   

Later on we went back to the hotel to change for tea!  This was Brian’s first afternoon tea.

IMG_5086

IMG_5087

IMG_5089

IMG_5092  

We had the classic afternoon tea and each selected the type of tea we wanted to drink.  Mom and I both chose the Empress Blend.

First to come out was fresh organic blueberries with whipped cream

IMG_5095

Tea

IMG_5096

A classic tea service generally has finger sandwiches, scones with clotted cream and jam, and finally pastries and sweets.

IMG_5097  

The tower was served with 3 each of everything.

IMG_5098

From left to right:  smoked salmon, egg salad, curried chicken salad, ham and cucumber, and a sun dried tomato tapenade.

I’ve never liked egg salad, but I actually tried it this time and wasn’t too bad!  Not crazy about it, but I liked it :) 

My favorite was the smoked salmon.

The best part, in my opinion,…scones

IMG_5099

These were particularly delicious scones…light and fluffy with Devonshire cream and strawberry jam. 

IMG_5100

For the sweets we have French macarons in the back, then a pear cheesecake, in front of that is a pistachio/chocolate checkerboard cake covered in marzipan, and little lemon tartlets up front. 

IMG_5101

By this point I’m getting too full to finish but had to try everything.  They were all so good it’s hard to pick a favorite…although I am partial to lemon curd :)

We all had a wonderful afternoon

IMG_5106

IMG_5112   

Can’t wait to share pictures from the Butchart Gardens and our Sea Plane ride back to Seattle…THAT was awesome. 

4 comments:

  1. Glad you had such a fun time with your mom! Cute dress too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so nice to have a good excuse to visit a new city :) I haven't done afternoon tea in years and I really want to now! Also, I LOVE your dress!


    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  3. this sounds like so much fun. I would love to have afternoon tea here someday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The afternoon tea looks fantastic! I would probably be partial to the lemon curd too!

    ReplyDelete