Recipes

Monday, September 10, 2012

Victoria Part 2: Butchart Gardens & Sea Plane

Monday is done and over with.  The first full week back at work after 2 short vacation weeks is going to be rough.

Although the nice cool weather today made it a bit more pleasant.  Feels like Fall around here and that makes me happy :)  Hopefully that will kick my butt in gear to start cooking and baking more!! 

Good thing I still have more to share from my trip.  Lets finish my time in Victoria, BC.  I’ve got a few more notable things to tell you about.

I don’t have pics from this dinner, but I have to tell you about it because it may have been the BEST meal of the whole trip.  It was a slightly chilly night in Victoria and none of us were in the mood for a huge meal after our afternoon tea.

We ended up at this French restaurant: Brasserie L’ecole mainly because I decided I wanted French Onion Soup :)  Which I had, but first we shared some mussels.  They were cooked in a tomato, pancetta, rosemary sauce with garlic bread crumbs.

I wanted to pick up the bowl and just drink that broth.  Best mussels I’ve EVER had.  The soup was also delicious, but I just had to tell you about this place and those mussels. 

Ok, so the next morning after breakfast we headed on a bus to a popular tourist destination:  The Butchart Gardens.

The Butchart Gardens was a private estate turned public site and now a National Historic Site of Canada.  Basically 55 acres of gorgeous gardens.

IMG_5183 IMG_5114 IMG_5126 IMG_5127 IMG_5144 IMG_5152 IMG_5153 IMG_5163

Gorgeous right?  They even sell the seeds of most of their flowers in case you see something you want to plant at home.

The most exciting part of the trip?  Our flight back to Seattle in a Sea Plane!!  SO happy we did that instead of the ferry again!!!

IMG_5191

Oh and guess who got to sit in the co-pilot seat?????

IMG_5194 IMG_5225

Very cool.

The engine was a bit smelly and the sun was beating down on me before we took off, but then it was amazing.

IMG_5210

I could see Mt. Rainier in the distance throughout most of the 40min flight.

IMG_5230

As we got closer to Seattle the view got even better!

The space needle!

IMG_5236

IMG_5239

See Mt Rainier above the buildings??

Landing was crazy…it looked like we were headed straight for those buildings, but then he turned and we descended down to a lake in the city.

The next series of pictures are a bunch I snapped on the way down…

 IMG_5245 IMG_5247 IMG_5248 IMG_5249 IMG_5250 IMG_5251 IMG_5252 IMG_5253 IMG_5254 IMG_5255  IMG_5257 Made it!

Such a cool experience!!  You need to try this if you ever get the chance!!

 IMG_5263  

Have you ever taken a sea plane or small plane like that?  Did you like it or was it scary???  Brian was a little nervous at first, but he thought it was awesome as well :)

4 comments:

  1. The sea plane ride looks amazing. I have never done anything like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pics! I've been on some small planes and I was also scared at first but eventually liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like such an awesome trip! And now I really want mussels! My dad took me on a tiny plane when I was a kid and I was scared out of my mind. I think I could handle it a little better now :)


    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! I had a question for you and was wondering if you could email me back to discuss?

    Thanks and have a great day!

    Arianna

    ariannapierce2 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete