Recipes

Friday, December 30, 2011

End of the Week and Year!

Hey friends!  I’m in a great mood today :)  It’s Friday AND I made the executive decision to not work today.  It was kind of a slow week, lots of people on vacation, and I thought it would just be wonderful to have a day to get stuff done around here.

Now in true Bridget fashion, I’ll never finish my to-do list but that’s ok!  I slept until 7:30am, which felt awesome (side note: it’s kind of sad that 7:30am is considered sleeping in…on a weekday anyways). 

Took the pup out and made a nice bowl of oatmeal.  I’m a very weather-influenced eater and I’ve only made stove-top oats a handful of times since the weather has gotten colder around here.

IMG_2593

Also used my new “b” mug from Anthropologie for my cappuccino!

IMG_2592

Oats: oatmeal, water, milk, strawberries, brown sugar, coconut, PB, a few pecans, and a little berry preserves.  I forgot how good oatmeal with lots of toppings is! 

Workouts

I went to Crossfit Tuesday night.  The Workout of the Day (WOD) was:

10 to 1: Deadlifts, Burpees, and Abmat sit-ups.  So, 10 of each, 9 of each, 8 of each…etc.  I did 75lb for deadlifts and my time was 8:28 (I think…around there).

Before the WOD we worked up to our heaviest set of 2 deadlifts.  I PR’d at 120lb. 

I still feel very new to Crossfit, and I’m so so nervous about pushing myself too hard.  I probably could have gone further than 120lb but right now it’s just not that important to me…I know I’m getting stronger and don’t care how long it takes :)  I just know I love these workouts!! 

I had planned to go last night, but ended up working a little later after I decided to take today off.  I’ve been doing Crossfit for almost a full month now, averaging 2-3 times a week.  I started with a 10-class pack which will be used up after tomorrow, so I think I’ll sign up for 3 months unlimited and see how that goes :)

I’m also nervous about tomorrow’s workout!  My Crossfit gym (or box I should say) just moved to a bigger location today and tomorrow is the first workout in the new location!  They never post the workouts ahead of time so people can’t pick and choose, but the new address number is 300 and there was a hint that the workout would be related to that!!

I googled “Crossfit 300” and this is what I found:

Pull-ups – 25 reps
Deadlifts with 135 lbs – 50 reps
Pushups – 50 reps
24-inch Box jumps – 50 reps
Floor wipers – 50 reps
Single-arm Clean-and-Press with 36-lbs Kettlebell – 50 reps
Pull-ups – 25 reps

My weight for the deadlifts and kettlebells will be lighters but STILL!  I think I like NOT knowing what the workout is ahead of time!!  Happy NYE to me…I’ll let you know how it goes.

The other reason I was OK with missing Crossfit last night was dinner!  Seriously, every time I DO use the Crockpot I wonder why I don’t use it more often!!

IMG_2566

I prepped this
Cooking Light recipe for Slow Cooker Char Sui Pork Roast

on Wednesday night, let it marinated in the bowl of the crock pot overnight, then turned it on Low before leaving for work yesterday.

IMG_2563

My favorite slow cooker recipes are the ones where you just add in all the ingredients…no pre-cooking anything!

IMG_2564

Shred the pork with 2 forks.

Cook down the sauce

IMG_2568

Serve with rice, broccoli and spinach!

IMG_2573

I added extra hoisin sauce to my bowl

IMG_2575

LOVED the flavors here!!  I’ve actually never cooked with Chinese 5 Spice powder before, but it’s delicious!

The only change I’d make next time is to leave out the chicken broth.  It diluted the sauce a bit too much and didn’t really thicken up.  That’s why I had to transfer it to a sauce pan and cook down for a while.

I think this would also be delicious with chicken, beef, or use a leaner cut of pork like a tenderloin.  We trimmed as much fat off as possible but it was hard to get enough of it. 

Well it’s time to take the pooch for a walk, get some more done around here and then get ready for a fun night out!!  Well not too much fun…Crossfit tomorrow morning AND then it’s New Years Eve!! 

What are you doing for NYE??  I wish I was going OUT out…like dancing out, but just wasn’t happening this year I guess.  Still really excited for a dinner out with a group of friends and then back to party at a friend’s condo!

7 comments:

  1. Ooh I made a pork recipe a while ago with five spice powder. Loved the combination. Good for you for giving yourself the day off! I wish we were staying in for New Year's but I've got to meet some friends out for a drink in the city and then we'll be heading down the street to a house party with some friends. I'd much rather go to someone's house or stay home than go out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, how amazing is the crock pot? Loveeeeeeeeee it! And I find myself saying the same thing- why do I not use this more often? I totally want to try cross fit- glad you're enjoying it! Happy (almost) new years. We're going to dinner then just hanging out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this slow cooker recipe! I just got ATK's Slow Cooker Revolution and I can't wait to dig into it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, this makes me want to get a crock pot! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year, Bridget! I'm saving the crockpot recipe (definitely want to do more of those!) and I'm super jealous of your cross fit adventures. I've only gone once and loved it... but it's definitely not in the budget right now. Enjoy it (and I wouldn't want to know the workouts ahead of time either... that's just stressful).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have that same mug (with an E). It's so cute!! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, I feel like EVERYONE has that mug. My roommate got it for me for my birthday. I haven't drunk out of it yet though. It's holding candy :)

    ReplyDelete